Another awesome list of available Operating System. This is an ongoing list and gets updated from time to time.
- Minix 3: MINIX 3 is a free, open-source, operating system designed to be highly reliable, flexible, and secure. It is based on a tiny microkernel running in kernel mode with the rest of the operating system running as a number of isolated, protected, processes in user mode. It runs on x86 and ARM CPUs, is compatible with NetBSD, and runs thousands of NetBSD packages.
- Redox OS: Redox is a Unix-like Operating System written in Rust, aiming to bring the innovations of Rust to a modern microkernel and full set of applications.
- Linux Kernel: The Linux kernel is a free and open-source, monolithic, modular, multitasking, Unix-like operating system kernel. It was conceived and created in 1991 by Linus Torvalds for his i386-based PC, and it was soon adopted as the kernel for the GNU operating system.
- illumos: illumos is a Unix operating system which provides next-generation features for downstream distributions, including advanced system debugging, next generation filesystem, networking, and virtualization options.
- SmartOS: SmartOS is a specialized Type 1 Hypervisor platform based on illumos.
- Xv6: Xv6 is a teaching operating system developed in the summer of 2006, which was ported to RISC-V for a new undergraduate class 6.S081.
- SerenityOS: The goal is a marriage between the aesthetic of late-1990s productivity software and the power-user accessibility of late-2000s *nix.
- XFree86: Provides a client/server interface between the display hardware (those physical things like the mouse, keyboard, and video displays) and the desktop environment, (this is typically called a window manager as it deals with how X is displayed i.e. the overall appearance). Yet X it goes beyond that and also gives the infrastructure and a standardized application interface (API).
Embedded OS #
- Contiki-NG: Contiki-NG is an open-source, cross-platform operating system for Next-Generation IoT devices. It focuses on dependable (secure and reliable) low-power communication and standard protocols, such as IPv6/6LoWPAN, 6TiSCH, RPL, and CoAP. Contiki-NG comes with extensive documentation, tutorials, a roadmap, release cycle, and well-defined development flow for smooth integration of community contributions.
- FreeRTOS: FreeRTOS is a real-time operating system kernel for embedded devices that has been ported to 35 microcontroller platforms.
- Riot OS: RIOT is a small operating system for networked, memory-constrained systems with a focus on low-power wireless Internet of Things devices.
- Mbed: Mbed is a platform and operating system for internet-connected devices based on 32-bit ARM Cortex-M microcontrollers.
- μT-Kernel 3.0: Real-time OS for Small-scale Embedded Systems and IoT Edge nodes. It is compliant with IEEE Standard 2050-2018 and has high compatibility with μT-Kernel 2.0.
- Zephyr: Zephyr is a small real-time operating system for connected, resource-constrained and embedded devices (with an emphasis on microcontrollers) supporting multiple architectures
Megalithic Kernel #
TinyOS: TinyOS is an open source, BSD-licensed operating system designed for low-power wireless devices, such as those used in sensor networks, ubiquitous computing, personal area networks, smart buildings, and smart meters.
- SmartOS: SmartOS is a specialized Type 1 Hypervisor platform based on illumos. It supports two types of virtualization: OS Virtual Machines (Zones) and Hardware Virtual Machines (KVM, Bhyve)
- CertiKOS: Clean-slate design with end-to-end guarantees on extensibility, security, and resilience. Without Zero-Day Kernel vulnerabilities.
- OSBlog: This tutorial will progressively build an operating system from start to something that you can show your friends or parents.
- Sel4: eL4 is a high-assurance, high-performance operating system microkernel. It is unique because of its comprehensive formal verification, without compromising performance. It is meant to be used as a trustworthy foundation for building safety- and security-critical systems.
Hybrid kernel #
- ChaiOS: Modular multi-platform hobby OS. Hybrid kernel, largely monolithic. Kernel C library is dynamically linked. Chai from Hebrew for “living " - “חי”