Disclaimer: All documentary/movie description has been copied and pasted from
Wikipedia or IMDB.
Disclaimer²: Some documentaries are not in English (those with the Portuguese/Dutch/German description).
Disclaimer³: I will try to keep this list updated.
- Inside Job – The global financial meltdown that took place in Fall 2008 caused millions of job and home losses and plunged the United States into a deep economic recession.
- Zeitgeist, The movie – A filmmaker looks at religion, the 9/11 terror attacks, and possible plans by international leaders to create a single world bank.
- The Revolution Will Not Be Televised – In April 2002, an Irish film crew is making a documentary about Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, when a coup from the opposition is made.
- Privatizações: a Distopia do Capital – O novo filme de Silvio Tendler ilumina e esclarece a lógica da política em tempos marcados pelo crescente desmonte do Estado brasileiro. A visão do Estado mínimo; a venda de ativos públicos ao setor privado; o ônus decorrente das políticas de desestatização traduzidos em fatos e imagens que emocionam e se constituem em uma verdadeira aula sobre a história recente do Brasil. Assim é Privatizações: a Distopia do Capital. Realização do Sindicato dos Engenheiros no Estado do Rio de Janeiro (Senge-RJ) e da Federação Interestadual de Sindicatos de Engenheiros (Fisenge), com o apoio da CUT Nacional, o filme traz a assinatura da produtora Caliban e a força da filmografia de um dos mais respeitados nomes do cinema brasileiro.
- Beyond Citizen Kane – The influence of Rede Globo,a TV network, on a whole country.
Hacking and computer history
- Nothing to Hide – The documentary about surveillance and you.
- Citizenfour – After Laura Poitras received encrypted emails from someone with information on the government’s massive covert-surveillance programs, she and reporter Glenn Greenwald flew to Hong Kong to meet the sender, who turned out to be Edward Snowden.
- We Steal Secrets: The Story of WikiLeaks –A documentary that details the creation of Julian Assange’s controversial website, which facilitated the largest security breach in U.S. history.
- TPB AFK: The Pirate Bay Away from Keyboard – An intellectual freedoms documentary based around the interpersonal triumphs, and defeats of the three main characters against the largest industry in the known universe. The media industry.
- We Are Legion: The Story of the Hacktivists – A documentary on the workings and beliefs of the self-described “hacktivist” collective, Anonymous.
- The Internet’s Own Boy: The Story of Aaron Swartz – The story of programming prodigy and information activist Aaron Swartz, who took his own life at the age of 26.
- Deep Web – A feature documentary that explores the rise of a new Internet; decentralized, encrypted, dangerous and beyond the law; with particular focus on the FBI capture of the Tor hidden service Silk Road, and the judicial aftermath.
- Revolution OS – While Microsoft may be the biggest software company in the world, not every computer user is a fan of their products, or their way of doing business. While Microsoft’s Windows became the most widely used operating system for personal computers in the world, many experts took issue with Microsoft’s strict policies regarding licensing, ownership, distribution, and alteration of their software. The objections of many high-profile technology experts, most notably Richard Stallman, led to what has become known as “the Open Source Movement,” which is centered on the belief that computer software should be free both in the economic and intellectual senses of the word. Eventually, one of Stallman’s admirers, Linus Torvalds, created a new operating system called Linux, a freely distributed software which many programmers consider to be markedly superior to Windows. Revolution OS is a documentary that examines the genesis of the Open Source Movement, and explores and explains the technical and intellectual issues involved in a manner understandable to computer aficionados and non-techheads alike.
- The Julian Assange Show: Cypherpunks – Cyber threats, hacker attacks and laws officially aiming to tackle internet piracy, but in fact infringing people’s rights to online privacy. It’s an increasingly topical subject - and the world’s most famous whistleblower is aiming to get to the heart of it. In this edition of his interview program here on RT, Julian Assange gets together with activists from the Cypherpunk movement - Andy Müller-Maguhn, Jeremie Zimmermann, and Jacob Appelbaum.
- Human – A collection of stories about and images of our world, offering an immersion to the core of what it means to be human.